How to Avoid Ethics Violations as Insurance Carrier Selected Defense Counsel
Date: June 23, 2009
Time: 2:00-3:40 pm ET
CLE Credit: View the CLE credit details. 1.5-2.0 Ethics CLE credits, depending on state requirements.
Teleconference Audio Package
Purchase the Teleconference Audio Package (includes MP3 files and handbook on CD). To order or learn more, click here or contact Allison Emery at 484-324-2755 x205 or email@example.com.
Attendees get the teleconference Audio Package for 50% off!
Agenda and Speakers
How to Avoid Ethics Violations as Insurance Carrier Selected
• When is there a conflict of interest for insurer-selected counsel? (Model Rule 1.7)
• Who is a client?
– Does that make a difference for attorney-client privilege?
• What does defense counsel need to tell the insured at the outset of the representation? (Model Rules 1.2 and 1.4)
• Working with the adjuster (Model Rules 1.4 and 1.7)
– Reporting to the adjuster
– Consulting with the adjuster
– Dealing with adjuster decisions
• Watching for and reacting to possible divergence of interests between insurer and insured (including confidentiality issues) (Model Rules 1.6 and 1.7)
• Excess exposure issues (Model Rules 1.4 and 1.7)
Elizabeth A. Alston, Alston Law Firm, LLC, Covington, LA
Arden J. Olson, Esq., Harrang Long Gary Rudnick P.C., Portland, OR
George R. Ripplinger, Esq., Ripplinger & Zimmer LLC, Belleville, IL